The 4-Day Externship in Emotionally Focused Therapy is the first training required for becoming a Certified EFT Therapist. Creating Connection is the same Externship only designed for Faith Based Therapists. Creating Connection will introduce attachment theory as the foundation for the EFT model and will explain and demonstrate how the EFT model is applied to work with couples, individuals and families. All 3 Stages and 9 Steps of the EFT model will be presented in detail utilizing handouts, didactic lecture, PowerPoint presentation, videos, role plays and group exercises to teach the EFT model).
Training appropriate for Ph.D.s, Psy.D.s, LMFTs, LCSWs and LPCs.
Joe X. Cantu, MA MFT is an ICEEFT Certified EFT Trainer. Joe received a B.A. from Southern Methodist University and an M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Antioch University Los Angeles. Joe specializes in working with couples and individuals and maintains his practice in Austin, Texas. Joe is bilingual and was instrumental in bringing Emotionally Focused Therapy to Mexico, Central America, South America and Spain.
- Detect coping strategies adopted by couple in times of relational distress.
- Complete Assessment and identify contraindications to EFT therapy.
- Define relational styles and attachment dynamics in a couple’s relationship.
- Formulate reactive cycle that negatively affects a couple’s relationship.
- Identify vulnerable emotions underlying reactive feelings and behaviors.
- Name and practice all 5 Basic Moves of the EFT Tango.
- Identify client’s attachment fears.
- Name client’s needs required to assuage attachment fears.
- Evaluate client’s ability to share attachment fears and needs with partner.
- Create safe and secure bonding events between clients.
9:00-10:30 History of Couples Therapy Part 1
10:45-11:45 History of Couples Therapy Part 2
11:45-12:00 Group Discussion
1:00-3:30 History of Attachment Theory
3:45-4:20 Role of EFT Therapist
4:20-5:20 Role Play
5:20-5:30 Group Discussion
9:00-9:30 Stages and Steps of EFT
9:30-10:30 Stage 1, Step 1 of EFT – Alliance/Assessment
10:45-11:00 Stage 1, Step 2 of EFT – Identifying the Cycle/Assembling Emotion
11:00-12:00 Role Play
1:00-2:30 Stage 1, Step 3 of EFT – De-Escalation/Tango/Enactments
3:45-5:15 Video of Sue Johnson Live with South African Couple
5:15-5:30 Group Discussion
9:15-9:30 Review Stage 1
9:30-10:30 Roleplay Stage 1, Step 2-3
10:45-12:00 Video of Sue Johnson with Pursuer Softening Couple
1:10-2:10 Roleplay No Response
2:10-2:30 Group Discussion
2:30-3:30 Stage 1, Step 4
3:45-4:30 Stage 2, Step 5, 6 & 7 – Withdrawer Re-engagement
4:30-5:00 Stage 2, Step 5, 6 & 7 – Blamer Softening
5:00-5-5:30 Video of Brent Bradley Blamer Softening
9:00-9:30 Review Stage 2
9:30-9:45 Stage 2, Step 8 – New Solutions for Old Problems
9:45-10:15 Stage 2, Step 9 – Consolidation
10:45-12:00 EFFT (EFT for Families)
1:00-2:30 EFiT for Individuals
2:30-3:15 Working with High Conflict Couples
4:15-5:15 Roleplay Stage 1 work with Couple
5:15-5:25 Certification/ICEEFT Membership